Wednesday, September 17, 2008

I forgot to share this fun story...


Yup that is a Belkin Wireless-G Router. So my babe Gowri just got road-runner lite (high-speed internet) installed in her house. She wanted some help in setting up the router that she bought at Wal-Mart. So went over to her house and set everything up (hardware) and then proceeded to install the CD. The CD kept saying that the router is not detecting any internet connections. I checked everything over and over again to no avail. Finally, made a call to Time Warner (the isp) and then they said the internet is working fine. Then made the most interesting phone call of my life. Called tech support over at Belkin. A friendly, indian voice answered and started to help me out with the router. In between the helpdesking, I asked him where he was and he was like 'Bangalore- India'. Wow. I've only heard of the outsourcing phone-based customer service/tech support. He was really patient and then he asked me to reset the router and this is the funny part, he said 'take a hair clip or paper pin and press the hole on the back hardly'...I couldn't help but crack up, along with Gowri and her brother, Pratheep. In between, randomly he goes like 'whats your email address'. I was like 'um this isn't my internet or router, I'm just helping my friend'. He said 'no problem' and a brief moment of silence followed. Anyways, after pressing all holes and stuff, nothing changed. The IP address and default gateway were not the expected configurations (It had to be like -.-.2.1. and it was -.-.1.1..weird). Finally the guy was like 'someone from a higher level will call within 24 hours'. Thank God, I was going to have an ego-attack in case it was something totally dumb that I couldn't figure out by myself. I think today level 2 support called her house and they kind of got it working. Anyways, the guy was nice and everything...but it just felt so weird talking to someone almost half-way across the world from here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG...LMAO!!! 'tears in ma eyes' lol take a pin and stick it up???? no way!!! hahahaha never knew setting up a router was so hilarious!!!!