Sunday, July 20, 2008

Spinach-Ricotta Bake


Notice a trend? I have been in the kitchen a lot lately. My newest creation, a tantalizing spinach ricotta bake. I couldn't think of any other name. I actually went grocery shopping yesterday with the intention of purchasing everything needed for a white veggie lasagna. Today, I somehow was feeling a bit lazy and instead I just whipped up a casserole kind of dish.

1 small onion
3 cloves garlic
1 zucchini
3 large mushrooms
1 (10 oz) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
1 cup cooked, chopped chicken breast
1 cup ricotta cheese
2 eggs
1 /2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 tsp italian herb mix
salt/pepper to taste
2 tbsp olive oil

I sauteed finely chopped onion and garlic in some olive oil. Next, I chopped the zucchini and mushrooms and put those in. Seasoned with some salt and pepper and then browned that for sometime. Next, I added the thawed spinach. Lastly I added the cooked pieces of chicken breast. I preheated the oven to 350F and greased a square pyrex dish. I then took another bowl and put in the bowl the ricotta cheese, eggs, milk, parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese and salt and pepper. I then transferred the semi-cooled spinach mixture into the bowl and mixed everything thoroughly. I then poured this mixture onto the pyrex dish and then on top sprinkled some mozzarella cheese and grated parmesan cheese generously. 40 minutes later, the top was golden brown and all the cheeses were oozing and bubbling from the sides. I let it cool and then took a bite. I like.

I must admit though that with a silky bechamel sauce and lasagna sheets in between, it would probably taste more sinful.

1 comment:

food-lover said...

Very delicious... i loved it how i just mixed everthing together and it worked. I used skim milk instead of whole, and lower fat cheeses (i know, you're thinking HEALTH FREAK) but it still had a delicious taste. I also used some different varieties of veggies, like tomatoes and brocolli. Thanks for posting it, it was exactly the type of recipe i was looking for. :D