Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Grano-brittle!


Joy! I made home-made sort of granola bars and they remind of some kind of a nut brittle hence the name. I kind of altered Alton Brown's recipe of homemade granola bar and made my own using the ingredients that I had on hand, here they are:

2 cups instant oats (his recipe called for old-fashioned rolled oats but didn't have any)
1 cup slivered almonds
1 cup dessicated coconut
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
1-ounce unsalted butter, plus extra for pan
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup dried currants (sun maid)

First I greased a pan and toasted the oats, coconut and almonds for like 5 minutes at 300F. It started to burn pretty quick so you gotto be careful and remove it quickly and then add the dried fruit to it. Meanwhile, I prepared the syrup with the sugar, honey, butter, vanilla extract and salt. This syrup is so annoying, it doesn't move much (like toffee) and sets real quickly and ooh be careful not to get any on your fingers, very very hot and melting skin-sticky. So I mixed everything together, its kind of hard because the syrup starting settling in goops here and there. A spatula works best I think. I put it in the oven again for 15 mins. I removed the pan and cooled it thoroughly. As I tried to cut it, irregular shaped brittle like pieces flew here and there. I tried some and they are good and you get that little hint of butter and vanilla and that coconut just does it...mmmm. Definitely better than having something from the store that has tons of corn syrup and other unnatural stuff. Try it!

No comments: