Sunday, November 18, 2007

Morose

Cyclone Sidr. More like Cyclone Doomsday. An entire faction of souls just lifted off the face of the earth. The earth probably weighs a little lighter today and feels a little empty with an entire part of it washed away of human life. What saddens me more is the fact that Bangladesh is one of the most impoverished nations in South Asia and it really doesn't need this. More than 2,000 people are dead and it is feared that the death toll could soar.
All the people who have lost loved ones and their homes must be in a completely abnormal state of mind. I mean, I can't even imagine what they are going through and I think nobody will be ever able to imagine unless they have gone through it. And to top it all these are people who live below the poverty line in houses made of bamboo.
I am going to be frank here, It did take me a little longer to assimilate the fact because I never lived in Bangladesh. It still is the place of my origin. I am a Non-Residential Bangladeshi and like many more, all I can do is hop on to cnn.com and see some quick numbers, pictures of debris and people sobbing, sitting by wreckage. But, tonight, I am feeling very hurt. I could have been one of them. Picturesque villages washed away, families broken apart, children being taken for burial and swarms of people sitting hopeless that none of it will ever return. It's a picture of so much horror and pain that I'd rather not think too much about it. I just pray for all of them---the dead, the injured, the lost...hope they all go to safe place soon.

No comments: