Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Home

I got here (Oman) the 15th at 1pm Oman time (so about 5am ET). Allow me to ramble about my 39 hour tumultuous journey (inclusive of layovers, delays, transfers, etc.)

Dec 13, 1pm: My lover G dropped me to the airport and also walked me through security and stayed with me until I boarded. I mean I didn’t know God still made people like these. Beautiful angels like G are a rarity these days. *Tear* So I boarded after an hour or so.

3:30pm: Arrived at JFK. Atanu came to see me and that was the nicest thing ever. I am one of those people who usually spend all time alone at airports when departing and takes a cab home when arriving. No one waiting with flowers, hugs or none of that. I am so used to it by now that when someone does come, it feels just too nice. Waited at baggage claim for another half hour.

6:00pm: By the time I scooted to Terminal 7 (with Atanu’s help) for my flight to London, it was already getting late. I feared that I would miss my flight. Luckily I didn’t. It was bye bye time. Robbie made it the last two minutes before I checked in. At least got to see him for 2 minutes. All worth it for me. Thank you Rob. Thank you Atanu again. So nice of you.

7:00pm -9:30pm: Waited to board the flight. Delays, shmelays. I cried a lot at the airport—very silently though---mascaras running down and all. I am really tired of always journeying alone . I wish there was someone although I am a veteran in long-distance everything (6 years since I left Oman and that one year in between when I was in Oman for over a year and all things came tumbling down). You would say it too if you traveled half way across the world every six months or so. Anyways, so I purchased a magazine to kill time. One of those $2.99 life and style magazines. I know, bogus on print but still had to make for some killing time. This one elderly looking man asked if I was okay...I smiled and said I was fine.
Although I am friendly by nature lol, when I am traveling or anything by myself, I usually have my ipod glued to my ears and don’t talk to strangers unless they want some assistance from me.

10:00pm – 4am: Aboard British Airways double decker. Watched a bit of hairspray (love that Tracy girl in it…she can move!), thought of all my loved ones in Buffalo…a sweet old couple was seated next to me. Every time the plane got bumpy the wife grabbed her husband’s hands. *Tear*

Dec 14: 6am: Heathrow, Terminal 4. Cleared security to find out I missed my connecting to Oman. Mother. I was so so pissed. I mean it was because my flight from jfk got delayed that I missed the connecting. In the midst of all this I was having severe sinus congestion and all that good stuff so all the more annoyed. Went to the connections desk and they told me they would put me on another later flight with Gulf Air to Bahrain and then another connecting to Oman. I had 8 hours in between and she told me could give me a room at the Hilton. Thank god!

7am: Scooted to the Hilton which is all connected via the terminals. Oh my God ! What an absolutely gorgeous hotel. Amazing…I haven’t seen such a pretty hotel in a while. Wish I had my camera…

8:00am-1pm: Took a shower! Slept for 4 hours or so in the comfy queen sized….can u believe it they had toiletries from crabtree and evelyn. Love it. Missed my free lunch though at this place, the Brasserie, it was so beautiful…had a waterfall by it and all but I just was too tired.

2:00pm: Went over to Terminal 3, a mighty long walk it was.

3:00-5:00pm: Bought some lame sandwich and had my mucinex…staring at the swarms of people sitting around. Everyone rushing, gushing, trying to make it to their destinations. Felt like I was in a movie.

5:00pm: Boarded Gulf Air. Hmm…not to be all snooty but really not feeling it. Very tight and less spacious—a little smelly maybe as well.

6:00pm: Plane decides to take off…they kept saying ‘airport congestion’ all the time flights got delayed. I do understand that major airports like jfk and heathrow are busy.

6:00pm- 12midnight: Got seated next to the two cutest Filipino girls. Best part of my entire journey. Kathleen Claire, 7 and Mawie LiAnn, 10 from Alberta, Canada. They were flying with their dad to see their mom in Bahrain. Let me tell you, by far the best, best travel buddies. They kept asking what grade I was in. How cute. We played unscramble the words (something they invented), hangman and practiced signatures and they also taught me how to snap my fingers to the Z formation…lol. We then watched Sabrina on the mini tv…lol..then they listened to my ipod. Love, love it. They gave me their email addresses, friendster and even postal address so that I could send them birthday cards. Adorable. The funny thing was people kept complaining about us being loud. Hehehe…Aww…they were the cutest things ever.

Dec15 -1am: Reached Bahrain. First time in Bahrain. The airport was pretty nice. Had a layover there for 5 hours. Really tired by now. Ipod died. Trepidation.

6am: Boarded plane to Oman. Ended up running into one of my high school mates who was the flight attendant. Feels nice meeting school people.

7:30am: TOUCHDOWN! Arrived in Oman…sweet sunshine. Baggages missing. No problems , Ah Finally getting to see mommy dearest felt so good. Holding her hands, hugging her. She had to go to work right after and I felt so bad that all these delays and stuff threw her off schedule... she travels real far to go to work. She is such a strong woman I know I will never be half the woman she is.

After that I came home and passed out forever. I did check my email before passing out and Gowri, it felt really nice to receive an email from you asking about my arrival---you’re so my boyfriend. Thank you. I mean a good portion of my life has depended on maintaining relationships via email because most of my life I have been apart from loved ones. I have been maintaining long-distance relationships with parents, friends, significant others for so long now that when someone asks me, I forget what to say and many a times don’t know what I am saying. So Gowri, my angel…thank you, the power of email, to me is still very very strong as you can see—and I know to you it is too.

I still feel like I am moving. My back hurts so much…ah my bengay awaits in my lost suitcase…


This was supposed to be posted two days ago had my internet not acted lame =)
Iam a lot better now...just got back form shopping.
miss u g.

No comments: